Thursday, November 8, 2007

Earthly Delights



Hello! I was thrilled to get my first batch of comments. I can honestly say that they made my day! Much to tell you about, first of all a story: I was walking through town the other day and I heard all this rustling inside a bush, so being curious I stopped and tried to see what was making the noise. As I gazed into the shadowy depths I realized that another pair of eyes was also watching me, in fact there were many pairs, I had stumbled upon a flock of sparrows hiding from the wind and as I stood there, one after another would grow bold and peep their little heads out. Now wanting to show all of you I slowly raised my camera to take a few shots, this didn't really disturb them (in fact it heightened their curiosity) of course it also did not make for a terrible good photo. So pushing my luck I got a bit closer--and closer and then I heard a loud PEEP and out all of them flew. In a matter of seconds they were eyeing me from the safety of the trees. I couldn't help but feel a bit guilty, they looked so cosy in their bush and I really had no intention of bothering them. Oh well, I'm sure they returned to their little haven the moment I turned my back. But while I was watching them, I kept thinking I was in some sort of fantastical story or painting complete with magical creatures(aka the sparrows) and the unsuspecting mortal (me). For some reason it reminded me of the painting The Garden of Earthly Delights by Bosch, only much (much) more innocent.



Yesterday, after my exciting bird adventure, I started my Icarus shawl! Its going well, not as difficult as I expected, but then again I am only just starting. I've already gotten lazy about the stitch markers, but I think the amount they recommend is a bit ludicrous (about four in every single row). I'm using Jagger Spun Zephyer wool-silk 2/18 in juniper. At first I wasn't too sure about the color, the intense blue green is not exactly my usually style, but as the shawl began to grow I started to like it more and more. And hey who doesn't need some variety in their closet? ( I am a very monotone sort of dresser, usually black with some earth tones and if I'm feeling jazzy I'll throw in a dark red or dark purple.) It has gotten to the point that when I hang my clothes out to dry it looks like I've just done laundry for a large party of mourners.



In other news, I consider it officially November in Maryland the light is golden, the air is crisp, and the leaves are orangey-red and the urge to knit is overpowering. On the down side it gets dark pretty soon after my last afternoon class is over, which is somewhat depressing. But I think night ( as well as rain and cold weather ) add something to tea drinking that sunny days just don't. One of my best friends once said that only the really dedicated tea drinker can be found sipping his hot brew in the summer months, this was said as he fixed us some tea in a room with no a/c (in the middle of August). So I plan to compensate for the lack of sun with an overabundance of tea.

Well, I have a Blake preceptorial to go to fairly soon, and so I will say goodbye for now.

1 comment:

Natalie Jabbar said...

I saw that painting at the Prado... earthly delights, that is. I love the photos on this post, Kristina. Sigh.