Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Art of Resting


Resting is an art, one which I have never been very good at. I am constantly worrying about what to do next or what I'm missing by "just laying here". The only way that I can tune the world out completely is by making something but then some professional resters may argue that this is not really rest in its purest form. Never-the-less rest is required of me this week, I am sick, and yet it is still highly guilt laden because its the sort of sick where you don't feel to bad just laying there but an hour after leaving the bed your mind gets sort of loopy and your body just sort of slumps over. Its always easier for me to justify staying home if I'm hacking out a lung or have some obscene fever. But reason tells me (aka E. tells me) that I need this. So here I am resting.

Icarus is coming along well, I've just started on the second repeat of chart 1. There is a lot more to do but I feel happy with its fast growth. Lace is amazing that way, you look at the tiny thread and the tiny needles and say to yourself "OK, I'll be knitting this for a few years" but then you start and it just blossoms, seemingly of its own accord. I love this, and plan to make many more lace shawls in the future. In fact I have my eye on the metaphorical white whale of lace knitting...the wedding ring shawl from heirloom knits....If you don't know what a wedding ring shawl is its a very large lace shawl which is made of such fine thread that it (even when completed) can be pulled through a wedding ring. I sort of want this to be my wedding shawl (NOTE: I have no plans to get married in the near future nor has anyone asked me) but it would be nice to have when I do and I could pass it on to my daughters. But then again I fear that I would be so happy to have completed it that I would take it off repeatedly to show people the cool trick my creation can do (very undignified ;) ) Fate seems to have stopped me from any foolish dreams of starting it now because heirloom knits does this weird thing where they don't sell a pattern for three years. But if anyone wants to fuel my whimsical dream and has the pattern, I would be happy to buy it from you ( if thats legal I'm not yet well versed in the knitting copy right laws).

I'm going to my parents house for Thanksgiving early next week, much knitting will get done so as to hide from the usual onslaught of advice and questions. Not sure how much blogging will take place seeing as how my folks don't have wireless and the PC they use is extremely virus filled and hence very slow. But I will take many many photographs to compensate for my absence.

I'm going to attempt this resting thing (which means I'm going work on Icarus some more).

No comments: