Sunday, May 11, 2008

Graduation


Today was Eric's graduation, it was overcast for most of the day and now its raining. My hands smell faintly of cardboard and dust from packing away the last of my things. I walked around town some to forget how much I will miss this place over the summer and how strange it will feel to be alone here next year. I wonder how senior year will feel, will it be mystical like freshman year when the campus felt as though it was under a spell and everything had a glow to it, even the night seemed to shine then. Or will it just be the same, a shuffle of seasons, lots of reading and then the end. And when it is over, will I long for it again? Will I always come back to this place that changed me, that lives in me; the place of my youth where I found a part of myself? I don't want to think of it, but seeing graduation seeing what is before me makes me remember that this place is passing too. The freshman year illusion that this would last a good while is gone and four years does not seem long enough. Oh but I'm feeling dramatic, and part of me does not feel this at all and craves the future.
I'm flying home tomorrow night, with a lot of knitting to keep me busy. The shetland tea shawl is coming along nicely and I'm excited to wear it. Hope all of you are well!

1 comment:

Eliza said...

I felt the same way about college. It just didn't last long enough. And then it's over.