Friday, May 30, 2008

Blueberry Fields



I went blueberry picking recently with my parents and aunt. We left home very early in the morning and when we arrived there was still a soft fog all around the fields. It was wonderfully cool and the ground still had dew on it. Each of us was handed a bucket and away we went. I got lost along the forest line, far away from the others, just picking blueberry after blueberry. It was wonderful and so relaxing. The only thing you could here was a crow and I thought I heard a peacock or maybe it was a hoarse rooster.



I even saw a baby raccoon crawl out of his den and snack on some blueberries and then quickly crawl back (very cute). There was also a lot of grasshoppers flying about, rushing for new cover when you disturbed their particular bush. I have to say that its a lot easier to pick blueberries than it is to pick strawberries. The bushes are so much higher and more accessible, bending down in the summer sun is not my cup of tea. But then again the strawberries that are fresh picked are out of this world.



Three hours went by and our buckets were mostly full. All of us went to get our blueberries weighed to pay the owners, but more importantly to see who won (aka picked the most). I was the clear winner with 5.35 pounds of berries! Go me! It turned out that in all we had picked 18 something pounds of blueberries. Clearly more than enough.



We then packed up the car and proceeded to a yummy sushi dinner in town.



Oh and here is a picture of my shetland tea shawl progress (hehe...so close but so far)!

3 comments:

Eliza said...

your shawl looks awesome. I love the color!

I've only picked blueberries in Maine, and the bushes there are very low to the ground. They taste different than commercial berries too-- sweeter and smaller. But I don't think they ship well; I've never seen them outside Maine.

Anonymous said...

I want to pick blueberries with you. :/ Come visit.

Eliza said...

Tagging you for a meme. :) Info is on my blog.