Monday, March 24, 2008

Sunny day Babbles


Sitting up in bed, looking at all the construction stuff outside and drinking my coffee. They are digging up selected parts of campus to "fix" the heating pipes (they do this every two years it seems). I'm willing to give up a bit of the esthetic for water that doesn't burn off a few layers of skin, or at least I would be willing to if I thought that their little dig would actually amount to any change in the hot-cold fluctuations. On an up note the birds seem unaffected by said digging and are twittering their little heads off (I love it) I suspect its because of all the worms that feel the need to sacrifice themselves on our sidewalks. I try to save as many as I can by throwing them into the grass, but I'm not sure this actually works, seeing so many robins around I imagine it just makes them a little harder to find.
Part of me wants to go live in the woods and forget that I ever heard of graduate school...maybe someone could pay me to draw twigs and leaves, I could even sell overpriced- handmade quilts to yuppies and a painting or two on the side. I could own a herd of cats and dye wool on the weekends and and....the artsy-craftsy madness goes on and on. So I find it particularly strange that when I have a semi-viable way of actually doing all this I spurn it, and drive towards a "real" career.
I still need to re-start that lace project. Blah. Not much knitting is being done recently.
P.S Check out Library Thing if you haven't all ready...its like Ravelry for book addicts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Ravelry! Of course, I think crochet is much easier than knitting (I tried it in Brazil 20 years ago and just couldn't get it!). I saw natalie and she said you were doing some amazing knitting. Do you have any photos of it?

ALso, the drawing of the old man is fabulous. I still think of you when I see your paintings in the library.

I just bought middlemarch. Did you like it?